Bloghopper

Seems there's always something to write about or have its picture taken.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like to write. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but it's kind of like cooking and travelling; the result may not be what you were hoping for but getting there was most of the fun.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Jon is John

If you had to name a dozen children would you buy a book of popular names? Do you have enough rellies to name them after?

After several years along the Alzheimer's trajectory I asked my mother how she came to name each of her 12 children. It was mostly an exercise to keep her diminishing cognitive abilities functioning but was fueled by my curiosity. I'd often wondered how anyone could come up with a name as boring, mundane and plain uninteresting as John. A name so common it was used for anonymity. Her answer surprised me.

The first two were easy; Helena was her mother's name and Peter was my father's name. Anita was my father's suggestion and Paul was quickly changed to Pauline when my 3rd sister was born. Eileen was my mother's sister and Tony, well, honestly I can't remember what Mom said but she'd no relatives so named so it must have come from my father. By the time she got to number seven (me) she said she had an opportunity to name a child with a name she just liked. And I liked that.

But as a youth I didn't. John was synonymous with toilet, a hooker's client, an unidentified corpse, a suggested name on your new cheques and the classic tragedy “Dear John...”.

Remember the movie "A Star is Born"? It was 1976, Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson were on the screen and the opening credits showed the producer of the movie was Jon Peters (apparently he'd been Barbra's hairdresser before elevating himself). I loved the European look and it sounded just...like...John. I liked it so I took it (I take after my eldest brother). Here's an edit: since writing this I applied for an Irish citizenship just because I could and discovered my mother's grandfather - my great grandfather - was named John. Perhaps Mom was further down the Alzheimer's road than either of us wanted to believe, confabulation being her effort to resist.

Mom's gone now and my need to differentiate has long since passed. In honour of my mother's memory and to accept who I am, I'm reverting to the name she gave me...just because she liked it.

3 Comments:

Blogger vancitygirl said...

Thanks for that John. I obviously missed the piece on Facebook...what a nice thing to remember...and share

Have to agree there was not much originality in the first "namings" Even giving us all middle names didn't help...Pete and I are named about both sets of grandparents (Pero James and Helena Nike. What surprised me was the number of identically named cousins we have in England as well.

I think we've been a little more creative in naming our own children ...let's hope our kids think so.

Love, H.

1:05 pm  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Well now we know...how do you think I feel with MaryAnne...it's a very old name...and old folks like it..the younger generation don't understand it...and well then there are the one's who insist on calling me Mary.....

3:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mom, if we weren't super creative with the grandkids...I think I have made an effort with at least my own. To the point, they hate them too, especially the spelling, for which I was so creative and did the research. Good thing I didn't give Rory the traditional spelling "Rhuardrih"! :)

I always thought I was named after the family, Brenda, Brendan, Eileen Brenda etc. But when I finally asked mom, she said I was named after her best friend...so that was kind of cool. I just wish people would stop calling me Debra or Barbara.

Thanks John...for sharing your blog.

12:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home