Bloghopper

Seems there's always something to write about or have its picture taken.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like to write. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but it's kind of like cooking and travelling; the result may not be what you were hoping for but getting there was most of the fun.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Big Boys Do Cry

It’s an odd phenomenon, feeling good about feeling bad. To some it’s a perverted masochistic trait where deviant pleasure is derived from pain inflicted by others. To others it’s a trait of Borderline personality disorder where someone harms themself to relieve anxiety or attract attention. Pain can be emotional or physical but I prefer the good cry over self-flagellation.

A good cry: an oxymoron? No, it feels good to cry, to let out the pent up emotion, to let your sadness stream down your face. Shakespeare called it sweet sorrow. At times the grief is so complete it controls more than your tear ducts. A powerful hand reaches inside, grabs your organs and squeezes. The only possible reaction is to curl up and moan. Remember to breathe, it’ll pass, just hang on. It ebbs and with a shake a broader perspective returns and with it a calm that comes with knowing you took it full on and survived. A pat on the back, a congratulatory nod to your survival skills and on to the next moment. It’s not unlike a comfy housecoat after a sauna and cold shower.

I’ve been crying daily for as long as I can remember. Wait. That’s not true; I remember not crying. I remember confidence and calm, energy and anger. I remember feeling I was at the helm of my ship, using the winds and controlling the rudder. And then life started to rush past me, tossing me in its wake and leaving me bobbing in a rough ocean with sails down. I began to doubt myself. Maybe I’m not capable, maybe I’m not lovable, maybe I don’t count. I thought about killing myself. It was the mid ‘80’s.

In psychiatry the suicide assessment is routine: “Any thoughts of harming yourself?” “How would you do it?” “Do you have the means? Intent?” Yes to any of the above would warrant further investigation and a contract that would require the would-be suicidee to promise to contact the interviewer prior to any self harm. Failing that assurance it’s off to the hospital but there was no-one to assess me because I told no-one.

A few years of daily musing made it feel normal. A form of entertainment that people indulged in like “what would I do if I won the lottery” or “what would people say at my funeral”. I thought everyone thought that way. I shared it with someone once and the look on her face told me I was wrong. “Hmmm”, I thought, “Thinking about hanging yourself with piano wire isn’t common...but it’s so damn comforting...” If things ever got soooo bad, I could always leave, punishing myself on the way out.

In psychiatry, clinical depression is viewed separately from situational depression. The clinical variety arrives for no apparent reason and hangs around for a long time. It’s thought to be caused by an excess amount of Serotonin, a neurotransmitter and it's an awful - but treatable - disease. Situational depression, on the other hand, is something we’ve all felt and is the subject of most country music tunes. The dog dies or your wife leaves and your life goes off kilter for a while. You walk under dark clouds for a bit but they start to thin out and eventually the new, more-interesting you goes about your business. The clinical variety is treated with medication, psychotherapy and in extreme cases, ECT (shock treatment), the situational is treated by the individual.

In the mid ‘80’s I left the business my father gave me and began selling real estate at which I was not immediately successful. The move was initiated by the company’s failing fortunes and a desire for change. My inability to sustain and grow the successful business Dad had given me cut into my self-esteem and the accompanying financial difficulties meant I lost my house. This change of fortune was difficult on the ex who packed up the kids and headed for greener pastures and with that I lost my identity.

So a couple of significant losses: my house, wife, kids, money, self-esteem. All still very situational but cumulative and becoming chronic. And the worst was yet to come.

At 9:05 AM, October 31st, 1981 I lifted my dead son out of his crib. He’d died sometime in the night, a victim of the statistic that one in 1000 babies die before their sixth month. There’s no apparent reason, they just die. We call it crib death because they die in their sleep but that’s all we know. I got angry, stopped believing in God but accepted the randomness and moved on. For a while things actually improved. We moved immediately and as business was still doing well we bought a house. And then we bought another one, just to rent out.

In retrospect, it may have been losing Nathan that planted the seed that life was not only unfair and random, it was going to be more difficult than I thought. I started seeing the business as too difficult and myself as incapable of withstanding the forces against me. Some were easily identified; my competitors, labour and material costs. Others were more ethereal; God?, The Universe?

On March 6th, 1984 Rachel was born. That’s her, 21 years later, in the picture at the top of this blog. She wasn’t healthy however, and having lost one we did everything we could to prevent it happening again. I remember driving out to a farm to buy goat’s milk because it was suggested she may be allergic to Mom’s/cow’s milk and formula. The doctors kept offering suggestions and running tests but it wasn’t until she was three months old that we got the diagnosis: cystic fibrosis. And twenty-one years of eulogy rehearsals began.

At 3AM, April 23rd, 2005 Rachel died. Years of grieving the inevitable came to an end and a lifetime of grieving the loss began. Tomorrow we’ll celebrate her birthday with sushi (her favourite food) and share stories of her life. If you have a story about Rae you’d like to share, please add your comment below; I’d love to hear it.

In my next piece I’m going to write about what those 21 years were like and more importantly, how I coped. There are strategies we can employ to help us through the worst life can present and I’m hopeful that what I learned and will share can be useful to others. I want to end here with this thought. The problem with something that feels good (like pain) is you can get stuck; ask anyone with an addiction. And I learned this:

Dreams can and do come true. So do nightmares.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Arne - Pave said...

Dearest John,

I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Oh the sadness of it all. I have been feeling very sad myself lately - yesterday being the anniversary of Eileen's passing.
You wrote about some really profound moments that have affected and continue to affect you. For me it was Eileen's passing. You expect your parents to die (well maybe not quite as young as Dad) but not your young vibrant sister. I shook me and still does. It made me scared, it made me realize that indeed bad, unknowable, unforgivable, terrible things happen. And if they can happen to others they certainly can happen to me. I have always been a wary girl, not very brave, always looking over my shoulder, but now....
I am thinking about loss in general and ours in particular and even though the sun is shining today it is indeed a very dark cloud.
What I remember about our Raybo was her smile. Even hooked up to machines she still smiled that great big, sweet smile. She was a darling girl. Too soon gone.
The Italians say corraggio - I think it means more than just courage to face the dark, I think it also means inner strength and power. AJ and I are sending you, Deb and Luka all that. Love you all.
Pave'

6:32 pm  
Blogger leodreamer said...

Dearest John:

Oh dear brother...how very very heartwrenching your post is. My heart aches so....and that ache has passed into my chest,rising to my throat and into my eyes...which are burning.

As Pave said in her post...it has been a difficult week...marking the passing and special times of Rachel, Eileen, dad...which then makes us think of other losses...your Nathan, mom, Nonna. So many losses...too soon.

One feels so vulnerable and fragile at times like these, and yet one does grow stronger - in the sense that we have the knowledge that yet again we have survived this trial and somehow innately know...we will pass the next as well.

Thank you John, for sharing your thoughts so eloquently with your family and friends...allowing us some insight into the journey through life that you are experiencing.

I in turn would like to share as well (though not as articulately as you!)a wonderful memory that Lui and I have of Rabo. It was at one of your and Deb's Halloween car rally/scavenger hunts. Lui and I were most fortunate to be paired with Rabo and her boyfriend (I am so embarrassed that I cannot remember his name!). They made such a cute couple, wearing their Tarzan and Jane costumes which Rachel had made. She sure had talent to spare didn't she? **grin** We had such a wonderful time together, with Rachel laughing and giggling at some of the silly things I said or how Lui drove! **smile** She had such a gift for making all those in her sphere feel special...I know I did. Lui and I have a great picture of Rachel and her b/f in their costumes from that night...I will get a copy made for you if you wish.

Much love to you John, Deb and Luka. Lui wanted me to say that you are in his thoughts and sends you his warmest wishes.

Love you
Anita

3:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uncle Jon & Family,

Thank you all, first for sharing and most importantly for being YOU!!!

I won't write about the grief we have all shared here or the tragedies we have overcome. We have done so, because of the love and support of each other. I won't retell of my own struggles or fears that one day there will be many more losses, due to the size of the clan, or that I fear how the hearts left behind to tell the stories will bear it with the dwindling numbers. Age does that to us, disease does it to us, life just happens.

But what I will say is that Rachel was a "shining light" for me in a very tough time and for that I am forever grateful. I have many fond memories of her as a baby and some of my fondest memories are of the "early years" before I had a family of my own. Before life was happening to me with Rory and his own fight became so real...at the same time Raebo was having to fight harder. Part of me hates to say, "I was too busy", but to be honest I was scared...I didn't want to see her sick like that, for fear I had the same struggles ahead with Rory. It was just too damn close to home.

But I do remember visiting her one time at Children's while Rory was in ICU...she was so sick and had no energy. But she asked about Rory and we had a quiet visit as she spoke to me about death and shared that she was not afraid. She also spoke to me about the many great friends and people at Children's and how she had become somewhat of a celebrity and let me know if Rory needed anything she would see he was looked after. At that she called a nurse over and asked who is physiotherapist was, and let me know in all seriousness that he was someone I could trust. But if it didn't work out to let her know.(smile) She touched my heart with her words, her caring and of course that smile...I worried a little less that day, thanks to our little Rachel.

Love to you John, Deb and Luka. We miss you, but you are always close in our hearts!

Brenda

11:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a profound sadness in me with the loss of Rachel. Maybe it was a feeling of shame that I could have done more to help during those years which required constant and intense therapy. Perhaps it was the serenity and determination I perceived in Rachel with the constant battle she fought while I thought sacrifice to training and sports injuries were difficult to endure. I was there to witness her recieve her award at the CF foundation. That night I realised what a full life she was living. Amid her struggle she loved, she laughed, she taught us all many lessons. She was like a desert flower...beautiful yet only able to bloom for a short while.

Paul

3:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home