Bloghopper

Seems there's always something to write about or have its picture taken.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like to write. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but it's kind of like cooking and travelling; the result may not be what you were hoping for but getting there was most of the fun.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Adios San Sebastian

The city wept as we left, saddened by our departure. A million tears the size of raindrops fell on us as we dragged our bags down the dark, early morning streets in search of the bus depot. The building, once found, was a younger nondescript amongst a family of older beauties, functional and little else. But tickets were soon in hand and we stood in the rain waiting to leave the city in the same damp mood as when we arrived.

It’s been a wonderful week. The cooler, earlier days gave us a chance to see the city and the warmer, later days gave us the beach holiday we’ve been looking for. In all, the perfect holiday.

The Spanish are somewhat friendlier than the French but not a lot. There’s little accomodation made for non-Spanish speakers - menus were a challenge - but the authenticity made up for the challenges. It’s a sparkling clean city, very modern conveniences worked into its heritage. We never quite got a handle on the hours of business but we never went hungry or failed to do/get what we needed.

While I normally the healthiest guy I know, I managed to adopt Deb’s virus the day we arrived. It announced its arrival with a powerful sore throat that woke me up our first night there and moved down my back sucking all the energy from my body as it went. No fever, no nausea just tough to swallow and a feeling like I’d survived a baseball bat attack...barely. It held me in its grip ‘til the last day when I managed to pass it on to Luka; tag you’re it. He awoke last night at 4AM with a cry; “Mom!” It promised to be an ugly departure but with a bowl beside his bed and his Mom beside him rubbing his tummy he woke a few hours later with enough energy to help us get out the door in time. What a trooper.

So we’re now in Biarritz and will be here for just the one night. The clouds have parted, inviting us to explore the glitzy environs and Luka tells me I’ll be joining him in the (freezing!) ocean. Off we go...

Sculpture by Chilleda, muy popular aqui

Too lazy too stand up and take a pic

Still lyin' down

The buildings are a blend of the old and new

The Bay of Biscay

I Believe I Can Fly

Statues abound

On Our Bike Tour


Concha Beach

A Boy and His Son

The Lookout

The Other Beach

San Sebastian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home