Bloghopper

Seems there's always something to write about or have its picture taken.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like to write. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but it's kind of like cooking and travelling; the result may not be what you were hoping for but getting there was most of the fun.

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Balcony People




There’s been plenty of times but it’s the fireworks I remember with the greatest envy. At five feet, six and three quarter inches I’m somewhat less than the average male altitude; I struggle to see and be seen. Seeing the parade, the movie, the whatever is always a challenge. Bigger people tend to use their size and bad manners to their advantage as they barge to the front, obliterating the view for the vertically challenged. I don’t envy them, I just don’t like them. But they’re happier thinking it’s envy, it negates their guilt.

The people I’ve envied are the ones on the balcony or yacht or other choice location to see some public display. You don’t need to be tall if you’re rich or lucky. You just buy the best seat in the house or, as we did for this past week, rent it.

When we booked our apartment for our gathering in Croatia we had no idea what it looked like, where it was located or even what was going on in town during our stay. Serendipity stepped in. We’re in two magnificent, recently renovated apartments with three bedrooms, two kitchens and one outstanding balcony.

It’s a large patio actually but it’s located on the second floor and in the center of town, directly across from the harbour. I start my days with a coffee out there and watch the yachts slip in and out. Other than the church bells summoning the believers and the jets screaming the arrival of the latest planeload of tourists, it’s a quiet spot to enjoy the sun and view. Cavtat is touristy but smaller than Dubrovnik and the road is used more by pedestrians than cars. So our balcony is a perfect place to sit quietly and watch the world flow by. Until last night.

Last night it rushed past with a crash and a boom. It started with a marching band followed by a guy on stilts. The girls spinning their batons came next and stopped to show off their best moves right in front of our balcony; Summer Carnival was under way. Fire spinners, belly dancers and pirates snaked by celebrating the height of the tourist season and some of the ground-level onlookers looked up. I recognized the look on their faces. Envy.

We eventually filled our glasses and went down to join the revellers, oohing and ahhing at acrobats and jugglers. We tapped our feet to the rythyms of the ethnic band then shook our booties to the rocking rythyms of the dance band before retreating to our balcony to reload and relish our good fortune.

It’s taken me fifty-two years to look down instead of up. I’m here by good fortune not good planning but I’m glad I don’t feel guilty...because tonight there’s going to be fireworks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martie said...

Hi, I'm Marcia and I stopped by via Maryanne. We have become great pals and I know you are her brother and on a great adventure. See, I am the envious one now. And I would have to look up to see you.......I am also vertically challenged at 5'3"!

Love seeing the photos and reading about places I will never see in person. Thanks for sharing this blog!

4:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home