Bloghopper

Seems there's always something to write about or have its picture taken.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Canada

I like to write. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but it's kind of like cooking and travelling; the result may not be what you were hoping for but getting there was most of the fun.

Friday, June 13, 2008

Is It Cultural?

We had an ongoing discussion in my religious studies class when I was in High school. Is there a universal truth? Are there beliefs in the universe that transcend time and place? We talked about man killing man - justifiable homicide, war, capital punishment - but the other side of the coin as well; love, trust and forgiveness. Hefty subjects for seventeen year olds yet they paled in comparison to the important stuff; who’s seeing who and what are you doing Saturday night?

But they were valuable discussions, never answered yet explored and I’m grateful that seed was planted because I’m still wondering. My wonders have expanded since my world expanded and I’m exposed to more ways of being.

A lot of the discussion was around semantics; the meaning s of the words in the context of which we discussed them. What’s moral. What’s ethical. If I recall, we generally agreed that morals were the underlying values to the ethical ‘rules’ we put in place. A code of conduct are the ethics to which a group adheres; lawyers, nurses, teachers, even a whole society and to contravene these rules puts one at risk of expulsion.

We all know we can act legally yet immorally simply selling a car we know to be faulty and not disclosing the fault. The law declares Caveat Emptor! and burdens the buyer with due diligence absolving the seller of moral behaviour. We say to one another ‘ it’s just business’ when we wish to behave badly and gain profit. In fact the ‘laws’ of business meet all the criteria for antisocial behaviour disorder as defined by the DSM (psychiatry’s bible). But I digress.

The question is of universality. Is it just as wrong to steal or behave badly in Cardiff as it is in Vancouver? Is honesty a cultural phenomenon?
A few things have happened since we swapped lives with some Cardiff residents who are now experiencing the Vancouver culture.

The first is that I get robbed a lot here. And while there’s crime aplenty in Vancouver there seems to be greater acceptance of here and worse, that it’s the victims fault for getting robbed. If it wasn’t locked up, if there wasn’t a surveillance camera on it, a fence around it, an alarm system, then I deserve to be robbed. It’s not the thief’s fault, it’s mine for not taking better care of my stuff. The efforts made to prevent crime are having a paradoxical effect. The message thieves receive when they see the camera, the lock or the alarm is that in their absence it’s fair game. It’s reinforced by the school system that bullies children into good behaviour rather than encouraging them to govern their own behaviour. As soon as the teacher-bully is out of the room the children have tacet license to do as they please. And they do.

The other relates to our exchange partners. During our discussions leading up to the exchange we agreed to exchange vehicles. We agreed to sell our respective vehicles to each other for one dollar but remain responsible for repairs. In their eyes, just as I’m at fault for being robbed, I’m guilty of being too trusting. We transferred our car to them but upon arrival they informed us they’d decided to keep their car in their name as it was more “convenient” and cheaper to renew the car insurance. “Whatever” we thought. What could go wrong? Well during the course of our discussions they’d neglected to mention that their car had no heater/defroster and winter was approaching. They hadn’t mentioned that the tailpipe rattled, oil had to be added at every refueling and the headlights weren’t functioning either but those things I could deal with.

When asked about the heater the owner said he was aware of the problem but it was too expensive to repair. So where did that leave us? Both cars were now in their names and they were unwilling to repair the car on this end.

Fortunately we were able to reverse the swap and get our car back and we went out and bought our own repairmobile. While they agreed to reverse the deal, they were incensed that we would break a deal because hey, a deal’s a deal. In their eyes the moral obligation to keep an agreement superceded the moral obligation to provide full information and disclosure when formulating the agreement. But is it cultural?

In a recent email the swapee advised me that he “trusted no-one” and I believe him. I look around in this most surveilled country in the world and I can see why. With cameras on every building, corner and school, trust has evaporated. An article I read recently was written by a psychologist who said that the more the state attempted to control its citizenry through surveillance, the less trusting and more angry they would become. He was writing about a guy that had sent poison in letters to various government agencies. When arrested, this guy said he was angry that his father’s DNA was being kept in a national database in spite of the fact he was cleared of a crime of which he had been accused. There are calls here (mostly by the police, right-wing columnists and the people they’ve frightened) for the database to be expanded to all citizens, that a sample should be collected from every immigrant and every newborn.

There’s not enough information - yet - to determine if the self-serving behaviours of our exchange partners is culturally based. I’m inclined to believe it is simply because of all the people I know in Vancouver, few would feel justified in attempting to deceive someone for personal gain. But that’s not proof; the sample’s too small and my interpretation too subjective. I’ll be talking to more Welsh before we go to get their perspective on this. The asking should be interesting.

My biggest concern, however, is that in the name of anti-terrorism personal rights are being eroded in Vancouver and across Canada and cameras are going up so it may only be a matter of time before we emulate the Welsh. And the time of trust is over.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very interesting and thought provoking subject. Morality is subjective. One could say that a woman dancing naked for money to the pleasure of a group of drunken men is immoral, or worse performing sexual favours for cash. However what if she is trying to make enough money to create a beter life for her child after her drunken, wife beating, husband left them, and simply using the talents that she was born with? Does that make her actions more moral?

I like to believe that people are bascially "good" and, despite significant events in life that have tried to dissuade me from that, I hold to that belief. The result is that when I moved to the West Coast and bought a business from a fellow I had never met, in a city I had never been to, was that my life has never been better.

I also bought a car at an auction one time. They drive the car in to the front of the stands and allow you to come down and inspect it. Satisfied that it all looked good and I ended up "winning" the auction. Once I got it home and attempted to park it, I discovered it did not have a reverse gear! Of course, they would not take it back.

Summary, I "like" to believe that people are basically good, however understand that I am going to get "burnt" on occasion. Fortunately, life is long enough that one hopes that scale tips towards better than worse

Mike

5:11 pm  
Blogger John said...

Well said. I agree with you whole heartedly and struggle to continue to trust in the face of so much evidence that I shouldn't. I feel my efforts though small and mostly unappreciated (even villified and dismissed as crazy) make the world a better place.

You make an excellent point about people's basic goodness. I too believe we are basically good people who respond negatively to bad experience. Here's a link to an excellent article on the subject: http://www.skepticfiles.org/mys5/taomoral.htm

Thanks for your feedback.

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is moral comes from within. You can be told what is moral, see what is moral but if there is no inner self check of right or wrong then no matter what you do it is always moral to you.

This world is getting to be too much of a WIIFY or WIIFM society. What ever happened to helping someone you don't know and most likely never will with some small act of kindness. Saying to a visually impaired person that there is an obstacle in their path rather than saying nothing and seeing them stumble. helping an parent on or off public transportation with their buggy because if the difference between the step and the ground. What's In It For Me? A feeling of goodness that's all and maybe a smile or a thank you.

Do we all have a bad seed that flourishes because of the old nature vs nurture question that has never been answered?

John some people are just assholes and i wonder why you haven't commented on their ridiculous size of a bedroom filled to capacity with one mattress. Shit college students have more room in shared accommodations even with a mattress thrown on the floor.

Well I could rant on about the significant differences you have to deal with but i will close now and talk to you later.

Arne

9:09 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey John, yet another thought provoking Post. Not only are you regaling us with your travel stories but making us think as well. You know my opinion on people's goodness...I agree with "anonymous" most people are basically good but the few bad ones we run into spoil it for most.

When you consider the number of interactions we have in the course of a day, week, year and the number of negatives that occur it supports that theory.

I know that my positive approach is not going to change a negative person (or one that does me wrong) but I refuse to let the negatives change what I feel is right or change the way I trust and interact with the rest.

Culturally I the Welsh started off the same as us but they have been exposed to "big brother" longer than we have and it is having a cumulative negative effect on their society.

That's it for now...Happy Father's Day! Love you. H.

6:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home